Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Snow Chief is operational

Yesterday I decided to tackle the task of getting Snow Chief back up and running. I got a new carburetor for it, because really there aren't too many parts in a small engine like that, and from what I can tell 90% of the problems come from either the carb or spark plug. The new carb is an "emissions" model that doesn't have any sort of adjustments for fuel/air mixture or anything like that, so it was sort of a crapshoot whether or not it would run well. Old engines generally get touchy after a while and you have to be able to tweak them to get them running right.

So, I pulled the old one off, and after struggling with getting the fuel line off without breaking it for 20 minutes, I threw the new guy on. I gave the primer bulb three pumps, and one pull later she was breathing fire again! She ran great (loud as hell, as per usual) and idled fine through the entire throttle range. The test will be what happens when I have to use it the first time. Before, what would happen is that it would run great until it got hot (like 10 minutes under load usually) and then it would start dying. I could play with the needle adjustment and getting running again, but after a minute it would start up the same thing again. It also started leaking gas out of the needle screw on the bottom of the bowl, so I *think* what was happening was that the needle was sticking open after a while, and not regulating the flow of fuel. Whatever, we'll see what happens when we get our first big snow fall.

6 comments:

Shelly Fire said...

My dad gave me an old Toro he picked up for free last year. He had a friend look it over and told him the engine looked like it had been ran about 3 times. I used it for the first time last winter. It ran great. For storage, I made sure the gas was non-oxygenated and tossed some sea-foam in there for good measure. The last time I ran it i just shut the fuel line off and ran the engine until it died. I pulled that sucker out about 2 weeks ago, pumped the primer6 times, 1 pull and that sonfabitch roared like I just shut off the day before.

Shelly Fire said...

btw, one of the very few advantages to living in North Dakota is still having access to non-oxygenated gas. I feel sorry for any of you Mn's with older equip over there.

j price said...

Well done man.

Justin Fox said...

Marathon and Chevron sell non-oxy gas in MN. I used to run non-oxy premium in my Audi when I could. It was expensive but it was way better.

Shelly Fire said...

Oh shit, I thought it was bant by the hippies or something

Justin Fox said...

Well...sort of. They sell it for "collector vehicles" or some shit. So the station will have it on one pump, but they'll disable pay at the pump so you actually have to go inside to pay for it, which is supposed to detour people from buying it for cars they aren't supposed to, but no one cares.