Sunday, April 13, 2008

Now that I watch this again, I'm having second thoughts about posting it, but wtf.

there's a decent back story that goes with this vid. Feel free to tl;dr this because i'm told the vid stands on its own, but the story is lol imo.

I made this video when I was about 13. In case you're wondering about the attire, the top is a combination of outfits my mother made for herself in the late 60's. The vest was for a different outfit and the "shirt" is really a long dress. Ironically, I felt wearing a dress was too fruity, so I put on my dad's hunting sweats and tucked the excess down into them. After making the vid, my buddy came over and I showed it to him, quite proud of myself. He was used to my weird shit and was like w/e so we headed out and went fishing. At that point, the vid was tucked away and more or less forgotten about. When I was 15, my buddies, Jason and Mike, and I starting taking my camera and working up our own little skits for our own amusement. At some point on one evening I remembered my old vid. I busted it out having not watched it in 2 years (which is a looong time when you're 15) thinking it might get some chuckles. Of course now, I'm deep in puberty and a little more aware of what "gay" is. We watch the vid and my friends almost vomited from laughter. I was genuinely embarrassed, something I was known for never being. Many times after that when I would have additional friends over, my two good buddies would try to make me show people the tape. I always refused. On one occasion they tried to strong arm it from me and in 38 years of combined friendship between these two, it was the only "real" scuffle we've ever been in. After that incident, they finally stopped asking.

Later that summer, I was over at Jason's house and was going to sleep over. It was in the early evening and as we were throwing the football around in the front yard, this chick I knew from my lake pulls up in front of his house in her car with a bunch of friends. This was a shock as I only knew her from my lake(where we had fooled around a few times) and she lived in a different town. She had called my mom and gotten Jason's address. Jason is standing in the yard holding the ball while I'm in the road talking to her. She invites me to the mall. Without hesitation, I jump in her car via the window and climb across her lap as she speeds away, leaving my best friend standing there wondering wtf I was doing. I hung out with her until about 11pm and went home. The next day I called my buddy, not realizing how big of a prick maneuver that was. He's irate. I believe his exact words to me before hanging up on me were, "you better come get your fucking bike before I smash the shit out of it". Later that week, I apologized, and he forgave me and all was well. The one caveat being that i had to accept the fact that he "owed me one".

Jump to our junior year in high school. One day, I go to school and at first all was normal. I noticed that Jason wasn't at his locker, ours were only 15 feet apart. This was odd because I'd seen him in the halls and I normally saw him at his locker between every class. Somewhere around 4th period I noticed people looking at me and laughing. Slowly as time went on the odd person would be like "*laughing* What's up Macho? Nice moves!". I encountered a few of these odd things throughout the day and was truly baffled. It got more frequent as the day went on. The REALLY odd thing is that this was not just coming from kids in my grade, but 9th, 10th, and 12th graders. I'm sitting in 7th hour Psych class and the bell has yet to ring and people are milling about. The teacher comes over to my desk and says, "so, you gonna do a little dancing for us? Those were some pretty groovy moves, man". I said, " Alright Mr. F, do you know what the heck is going on? People have been saying weird crap to me all day and I don't have any idea what is going on. What are you talking about? "
At this point, he informs me that at about 8am that morning, a half an hour before class started, Jason, who knows I am NEVER at school earlier than 1 minute before bell, went up and down the hallway stopping random people, gathering a total of about 40 students and staff, and telling them to go into the Health room to watch this:




Groove is in the Heart from Eric J. on Vimeo.

10 comments:

Justin Fox said...

OMG that is epic.

Now we need the video and backstory from the fridge cleaning incident.

Shelly Fire said...

No problem. I'll let this sit for a few work days and then I'll get that one up. I also have another vid similar to the Groove is in the Heart one only it's done to the tune of Glenn Millers "Kalamazoo"

Sara B said...

Classic. I love the crotch-to-butt hand move and how every word/sound is lip-synched. And you look about 0% different now, including wardrobe choice. Thanks for a good laugh!

Eric said...

btw Fox, the "Jason" in that story is Kinger.

squez said...

Amazing, simply amazing

freridejes said...

FOX, DO YOU TAKE REQUESTS????I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD BE IMPRESSED OR SADDENED YOU NAILED ALL THE LYRICS. JUST SO YOU FEEL BETTER THE STAFF AT BARRY'S BIKES DIGS YOUR MOVES. MISS YOU--JESSY AND BARRY.

Eric said...

lol, yeah Foxy, nice moves. I bet you dance around like that alone whenever you get a chance. You're such a fruit.

Justin Fox said...

1) Jess & Barry - Thats not Fox, thats the famous Shelly Fire puttin down the groove. Note the black hair and posted by.

2) Eric/Shelly Fire - You're a bastard. In addition to the refrigerator video, you should put up the drill video.

Shelly Fire said...

looks like somebody's trying to get out of a few updates.

Peter said...

lol fox. lol.