Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The saga of Sara's laptop

So last year (well, November 2006 actually) we decided that Sara needed a shiny new laptop. She's a big enough computer geek that she actually uses her laptop a lot, and is pretty damn good with computers. So we picked up an HP DV2000T, all decked out. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, it started shutting itself off randomly. It'd make a "pop" sound, then go black. She'd fire it up again and it would work. I'm a Systems Admin, but I did my time in desktop services working on laptops, and I almost immediately knew it was going to be a bad motherboard (as everything is pretty much integrated onto the board in a laptop). So the problem kept getting worse and worse, and two weeks ago it finally died. Its 4 months out of warranty, so HP told us to piss off. They'd fix it for a flat rate of $398.00 (a bargain compared to buying the board from them, which was almost $700). So, like any good nerd, I went to ebay, the land of new/newish computer parts.

Luckily, I found a few new specimens for around $200 (overstocks from distributors, etc). I bought one, happy as a clam. I was informed after I paid (two days later) that they in fact didn't have that motherboard in stock. Really, then why do you have it on ebay (along with 3 other auctions identical to it). Anyway they refunded my money, and I was set back a couple of days. I'm not a man of great patience, so I was pretty pissed.

But fortune was smiling on me, because when I pulled up ebay again, another seller (with almost perfect feedback) was selling the same, new motherboard for $150! I bought it immediately and he shipped it out the next day. I was all excited when I got home and the box was there. I open it up, and my excitement dwindled when I saw a 15 inch replacement lcd instead of a motherboard. Now I was really pissed. I email the guy and he actually called me like 10 minutes later, very apologetic. We worked it out and he emailed me a return shipping label for the lcd and sent me out the motherboard the next day. No biggie, now I'm set back what, a week?

Well, today was the big day. I get home and confirm that there is indeed a brown cardboard, motherboard sized box waiting for me. I open it up and VIOLA! Its a motherboard! I anxiously open the static bag, ready to do battle with a bagillion little screws and clips when I notice something funny...... a sticker on it that says "PC100/PC133 RAM". WTF? Nothing has used that for like 5-6 years. Oh wait, its a replacement motherboard for an ancient HP something-or-another, not the motherboard I bought. So I call the guy (who was kind enough to leave me his number) and explain the situation and am now waiting on yet another refund.

9 comments:

G-reg said...

MOTHER......!

Justin Fox said...

yea man, pretty pissed.

Brian said...

As Squez would say:

"What a debagle".

Sara said...

I just want my damn laptop to work, I'm lost without it. Thank God I have a smart husband who can fix it, whenever we get that elusive motherboard.

Justin Fox said...

LOL@DEBAGLE

Shelly Fire said...

Why in the world did you buy HP? You yourself advised me to NOT by HP. I've never known one that functioned well.

Shelly Fire said...

I figured you would have got her a Lenovo.

squez said...

Keep the faith Foxy, it will all work out in the end. Also do they sell Old Style in Minneapolis

Justin Fox said...

Shit yea they do. Only problem is I haven't been able to find pounders. The pounders taste so much better than the regular ones.