Saturday, December 29, 2007

Its Saturday night and I'm working

Yep, I got to come into work at 10:30 tonight, and probably won't get to leave until 12:30-1:00. We've got a network maintenance window (we get like 4-5 hours per quarter to take critical servers and network equipment off line) and me and one other guy are migrating like 120 ports from one switch to our core service switch. Sounds easy, but its a mess. They're big 'ol Cisco 7506 and 7510 switches so we have to trace all the cables back from the patch panels to the switch ports, make note of the port, then migrate the cable to a port on the new switch (and pray to god the cable is long enough or we have to re-route and cable it), back to the other patch panel, copy over a config file, then do it 119 more times. I've got 10 minutes till we can start, so I'm off to get some caffeine in my system.

EDIT: 12:30-1:00 was a bad estimate, I didn't get home until 3:45am.

7 comments:

Eric said...

I believe I'm speaking for every fan of your blog when I say wtf r u talking about.

Sara said...

Palabra!

pw said...

I understand what your saying. Kind of makes you want to take the Snow Chief out and wake the neighbor who doesn't do a good job of snow removal, when you get home. Then after waking him and the neighborhood, you tell him it was no problem, you were getting home from work.

Justin Fox said...

I would love to have a huge storm, and have a reason to use the snow chief in the middle of the night.

shellyfire said...

btw, Jamie and I got married today.

Justin Fox said...

You got married today? WTF? No wedding or what?

Eric said...

We eloped in our living room. Janie Franz did the ceremony. Other than her, we had the kids there, the two witnesses and Joe Greenwood snapping pics. 5 minute ceremony. Atm I'm in the HoDo. We just got back from the rooftop hot tub a bit ago. It is -4 here, lol.