Sunday, March 04, 2007

Ok ok

I fell like a shit bird because I promised a post and didn't deliver. But in my defense, those of you who know me know that I rarely deliver on time (if at all) when I promise something, so at least I'm consistent. I made it home fine, the roads were fine, ect. I got back to work and have had one hell of a week since. I don't know if any of your (Brain probably) are familiar with ASP (Active Server Pages) but it sucks real bad and I hate it. I've got this application that runs a SQL backend, for keeping track of some sort of stuff for our facilities dept. The application itself sucks anyway, but now they want a web interface for it (which happens to be built in ASP, yeah). So quick and dirty; if you have a database, especially an SQL database, and want to interface with it via a website, or portal or whatever, that page has to be built with something that can interface with it. I use website loosely because its actually a web application but thats not important.

So anyway, the most popular choices for the interface would be 1. Coldfusion, which was all I learned in college and is now pretty much obsolete 2. ASP, otherwise known as .net (dot net), very popular (used to build myspace, etc) but still sucks to work with and 3. PHP, Most of your popular forums on the internet use PHP (PHP BB actually, as the posts are stored in SQL or DB2 database). PHP is hands down the best to work with but of course i don't have that option. Now the fun part....Since this is a web application, it has to interface with whatever is being used to SERVE the page. Ok, so if you're not familiar with what I mean, if you have a web server, then you've got some sort of web serving application running, the best and most popular (something like 80-90% of the internet) is called Apache. Now, thats all good for a straight web site, but unfortunately this is an internal web server that has to use Windows authentication from our domain, so Apache isn't really an option. So then we get to use IIS (Internet Information Services). Its actually built in to every Windows OS now, and it kinda sucks. This all sounds confusing, and it is, but its about to get way worse.

So, IIS has this built in account called "IUSR" which is short for Internet User, and it allows the user to anonomously browse a site (which is important, so you don't have to enter credentials just to get to a site). Anyway, this account is a LOCAL account on the box. Well, we've got a big ass enterprise level network, so our SQL Database server is on its own box (obviously) and our Internal Web server is on its own box. Well, to log into this stupid web app, the IUSR account has to have permission to the sql database. How the hell do you pass through a LOCAL account from another box? I've spent 5 days on the phone with the people that wrote this stupid software and no one can tell me. I'm pretty sure its not possible, so all you should have to do is create a "service" account in Active Directory (just like the account a normal user would have so they could log into the network) and tell IIS to pass it through to the sql database, where it already has permissions. EEEEHHHHH, wrong. Doesn't work. The developers hard coded something into the program that is looking for specific accounts, so now I've been digging through pages and pages of code to try to figure it out. So anyway, I'm sure very little of that made sense, but I figured if I typed it out something might occur to me to fix it....but it didn't.

7 comments:

Simmons said...

My head just exploded. No really.

I'm only going to read posts with Haiku in them from now on :)

Justin Fox said...

yea, i know. I realize it was a mistake to type all that out now.

pw said...

I liked it. A modern story of the dog having to chase his tail. Who doesn't feel that way at work at different times? The few people I talked to all said the same thing,"It's been years since I worked with ASP's".

Shelly Fire said...

Sounds like centipedes to me.

Brian said...

We are currently in the process of rewriting our program from VB6 to .NET.

Fun times.

G-reg said...

I would not know how to react if not for hollywood:
"Riiiiiight" Austin Powers
"Neeeeeeeerds!" Revenge of the Nerds

Justin Fox said...

Brain - .net is way more powerful for standalone apps, but it is definately not fun to upgrade to.

G to the reg - You are absolutely right.

Macho - I believe we have narrowed the issue down to centipedes, thanks for your help.